Saturday, June 18, 2022

19 Villacazar de Sirga to Calzadilla de la Cueza - 14 miles

My Spanish friend Javi said that the section we’re on is sort of boring. He isn’t wrong :)

Today, we continued our journey along the Maceta. Expecting another warm day, we set out early and were able to capture the sunrise. It was one of the highlights of the day and happened just after 6:30 AM.








The rest of the day was pretty much walking along a flat, gravel trail with wheat fields on both sides. The following pictures will sum up our day.






I have to admit that I’m finding this section of the Camino a bit monotonous and tedious. Don’t get me wrong, I find beauty in the simplicity and I am still very much enjoying myself. However, the sun and heat make it difficult, and today’s hike included what a guidebook said is the longest section without a settlement or village. But, we just kept trudging along, and we tried to find bright spots in the midst of the tedium. I’m sure there’s a life lesson in all of this that I will realize at a later time.


So, what were some of the bright spots?


Unlike other sections, there were some dedicated rest areas.



One even featured a food truck in a place to rest your feet. 



The last town before the really long stretch featured a former Benedictine monastery that is now a hotel. When we got to our alburgue this afternoon I spoke with a few women who stayed there last night and they highly recommend it the next time. I will put it on my list.





There was a motivational sign along the way.



Heading out of one of the towns in a roundabout there was a pretty cool statue and saying. 






The plaque reads: “In life you are a pilgrim towards the eternity of God.”  I think the saying is very true and something that I have been reflecting on. This pilgrimage on the Camino will take us to Santiago de Compostela. But it is really a symbol or metaphor reminding us of the ultimate pilgrimage that we are on, that is, the pilgrimage that brings us to God. It is a pilgrimage of easy days and difficult ones, of beautiful vistas and tedious monotony, of ups and downs and flat spaces. 


On several occasions I have reminded myself that every step I take gets me one step closer to Santiago.  (I even have an app that gives the distance to the final destination of the day, and it is fun to watch the kilometers and meters tick down as I walk along.)  Hopefully, it is the same for our eternal pilgrimage, that each step or choice or relationship or thought should bring us closer to God and our ultimate goal of our eternal pilgrimage: heaven. Today, that is my hope and prayer for myself and each of you as we journey together on this pilgrimage of life, whether we are on the Way of Saint James or not. 




Buen Camino!


No comments:

Post a Comment