Sunday, June 12, 2022

13 Villafranca to Atapuerca - 12 miles

 Today was about dodging rain showers. 


Knowing that today was going to be a little shorter than others, I let myself sleep in a little. That ended up being a good decision because as I was just about to leave, it started to rain. I looked at the weather app and it was going to move out pretty quickly so I just decided to wait it out. Another good decision as someone told me it actually hailed a little. 


Once the rain ended, I got on my way. There was a pretty steep ascent that eventually flattened out. Along the way, I saw a real ass. 



Then I had to deal with some bull. 



But eventually I met the G.O.A.T.



(I think the sun might be getting to me.)


Today was another day of surprises on the Camino. 


I came across the “Oasis of the Camino.”  Evidently, an artist created some fun creatures to lift pilgrims’ spirits. 










The wildflowers are still out and add beauty to the trail. 




Today’s hike took us through a beautiful (and very shaded) wooded area which was a nice change from the desert-like terrain from the past few days. 





In the town of Agés I happened upon a woodworker who happily welcomed me into his shop. I didn’t understand much of what he said, but it was fun to see his enthusiasm. 







He recreated the town church, including the bird’s nest. I then found the church, which did have a big nest on the belfry. 






I took a little rest at the plaza in front of the church. There was such a nice, cool breeze coming in. Only when I got up to continue walking did I realize the breeze was so cool because another rain storm was coming in. I had 1.5 miles until my final destination of Atapuerca. I really hoofed it and made it to town as the first drops started to fall.  




The day ended with dinner with some new friends. Another good day!



Buen Camino!



No comments:

Post a Comment