Tuesday, June 14, 2022

14 Atapuerca to Burgos - 13 miles

 Now for something a little different. 

Today’s walk definitely started out a little bit differently than normal. It was foggy, windy and almost cold. In fact, I had to stop and put on an extra layer st one point, but it was a nice change of pace (especially as the rest of the week is supposed to be pretty hot) and gave a different view and vibe to the landscape. 








Of course, the fog eventually burned off as we headed to the city of Burgos. 





Burgos is quite a large city. After being in the countryside and in small villages for so long, it was definitely a bit odd to start to see so many people and signs of industry other than agriculture. At one point, we went passed a scrapyard where something was on fire! I hiked as quickly away as my tired legs would go!




To get to Burgos, I took an alternate route that was recommended by several people. The “official” Camino evidently takes you through a larger industrial area, whereas this alternate follows the Arionzon River. It wasn’t very well marked, and I relied on directions like “at the new white houses turn left.” Thankfully, we have google maps and I knew I had to head west. When the sun was in my face I knew I did something wrong.








We are spending a “rest day” in Burgos, staying in a nice AirBnB. I’ll post more pictures later. But in the evening we got some ice cream and enjoyed tapas with our friends and fellow pilgrims Bernardo and Eddie, originally from Brazil and now living in Australia. 










Buen Camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment