Wednesday, March 20, 2013

True power is service

Tuesday, 19 March, the Feast of St. Joseph Husband of Mary, was a momentous day.  Of course, it was the inaugural mass that officially began the Petrine ministry of Pope Francis as Bishop of Rome.  It was also memorable for me, because it's probably the first time I understood most of the homily given in Italian!  And, it was a very good homily.  I would encourage you to read it (in English) at the Vatican Website.  But, I'll offer what I think were the highlights below.
Pope Francis on the big screen.

So, Tuesday morning, my alarm buzzed way earlier than normal (and maybe before some in the US had even went to bed).  It was so early, the coffee hadn't been started in the house.  In the twilight hours of the morning (without coffee mind you), I made my way with a few other Brothers to St. Peter's Square to be present at the mass. I'll be honest - it was a long morning, and I had considered not going because of the crowds and mayhem that I expected would come with a larger-than-normal Papal mass.  But, in the end, I'm glad that I was there to witness the event, even though it included standing for about six hours.  (There was limited seating and I didn't have the golden ticket!)  I do believe it was a once-in-a-liftime event!

Pictures of the crowd don't do it justice.
But even in the big crowd, you can find a familiar face.  (Can you find Fr. Pachi?)

In the homily, Francis said, "How does Joseph exercise his role as protector? Discreetly, humbly and silently, but with an unfailing presence and utter fidelity, even when he finds it hard to understand....By being constantly attentive to God, open to the signs of God’s presence and receptive to God’s plans, and not simply to his own."  This same simplicity and humility was shown in the installation ritual.  After praying at the tomb of St. Peter with the Eastern Patriarchs and the College of Cardinals, Pope Francis left the Basilica and entered the Square.  After a few prayers, he was presented the "pallium," a white shawl of sorts made from lamb's wool that he wears over his shoulders and then the fisherman's ring (in deference to Peter the fisherman.)  In a turn of events, the ring is not solid gold, but simply gold-plated and is a hand-me-down.  Evidently, it had been made, but never worn, during the time of Pope Paul VI.  With simplicity and little fanfare, Francis officially began his ministry.
While it's difficult to see, some of the acolytes have white baseball caps on.

The mass.

More of the mass.


Before the mass, Francis rode around the Square greeting the crowd and stopping to kiss a few babies.  One of the most poignant moments was when he descended from the Pope-mobile to greet and embrace a man with severe physical disabilities.  He put into practice what he said in the homily: "[To be a protector like Joseph] means protecting people, showing loving concern for each and every person, especially children, the elderly, those in need, who are often the last we think about....Caring, protecting, demands goodness, it calls for a certain tenderness....We must not be afraid of goodness, of tenderness! "  Most definitely a tender moment, not only for the individual, but for all who saw it (even if only on the jumbo-tron.)
Pope Francis in the crowd.

Coming down our pathway.

Just look for the tall guy dressed in white.

The Pontiff also had some pointed words for the cadre of political officials (and all of us) who came for the mass.  "Please, I would like to ask all those who have positions of responsibility in economic, political and social life, and all men and women of goodwill: let us be “protectors” of creation, protectors of God’s plan inscribed in nature, protectors of one another and of the environment. Let us not allow omens of destruction and death to accompany the advance of this world!"  Taking cues from his namesake, Francis of Assisi, he repeatedly mentioned care for the physical world.
Giving the homily.

Probably my favorite message came at the end of his homily.  Referring to the Petrine ministry, he said: "Today, together with the feast of Saint Joseph, we are celebrating the beginning of the ministry of the new Bishop of Rome, the Successor of Peter, which also involves a certain power. Certainly, Jesus Christ conferred power upon Peter, but what sort of power was it? Jesus’ three questions to Peter about love are followed by three commands: feed my lambs, feed my sheep. Let us never forget that authentic power is service, and that the Pope too, when exercising power, must enter ever more fully into that service which has its radiant culmination on the Cross. He must be inspired by the lowly, concrete and faithful service which marked Saint Joseph and, like him, he must open his arms to protect all of God’s people and embrace with tender affection the whole of humanity, especially the poorest, the weakest, the least important, those whom Matthew lists in the final judgment on love: the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the naked, the sick and those in prison (cf. Mt 25:31-46). Only those who serve with love are able to protect!"  These are good words for me to hear as I spend the next few years preparing to be of service in the Society of Mary and in the Church.  Oh that I may heed the words of Pope Francis with the help and grace of God!"
A memorable picture.

I have decided that this is probably the last "big" event I'll attend for a while.  My little introverted self is tired of big, jostling crowds.  I'll wait for "Pope Frenzy" to die down a bit before venturing to the Vatican.  But, I must say, it has been a lot of fun - the initial shock, the anticipation, the joy, the surprise, the learning, and the prayer.  And, I hope, that all of you who read this blog have enjoyed it as much as I have. 

I'll leave you with some other photos from the Sunday Angelus the weekend before.

Ciao!

I actually think there were more people for the Angelus than for the mass.

I guess the Holy Spirit decided to make a repeat performance.

When the Pope entered, he simply said "Buon Giorno."  He ended with "Buona Domenica, e Buon Pranzo" (Have a good Sunday and a good lunch.)

Reading his reflection on Sunday.

I saw this "satellite" car near the Vatican and couldn't resist a picture.

2 comments:

  1. I've so enjoyed your commentary. I am very hopeful and impressed with this new "Peter". I know you are very busy but would love to hear from you. Have been following your path since you left Zionsville what seams ions ago. Take care my friend and may God always bless you. You always remain in my prayers. Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean,
      I hope you get this! Sorry for not writing back sooner. I would love to catch up sometime. And if you make your way to Rome we will have to get together. Feel free to email me at bjonessm@gmail.com (I can't find an email for you here.)
      Take care,
      Bob

      Delete