Thursday, March 14, 2013

Incredible

Tonight was truly amazing, awesome, wonderful, and so many other things that just haven't sunk in yet.  Never in a million years did I think I would be in St. Peter's Square to see white smoke billowing out of the Sistine Chapel and then to see a new Pontiff emerge from the balcony.  As I type this, I'm getting chills. 
St. Peter's with the Sistine Chapel in the background.

The facade of the Basilica.

As you know, I was in St. Peter's Square this morning when we had black smoke.  This afternoon, I returned with Bros. Javi and Joseph to wait once again.  The difference this time was that the rain was quite a bit harder!  My feet were wet and my arms were tired from holding an umbrella.  5:00 passed with no signal which meant that an inconclusive vote had been reached...again we had to wait. 
All we could see.

Bro. Joseph and Bro. Javi

Your's truly
And we even found Bro. Dani in the crowd.


But, the crowd was growing and there had been rumors all day that today would be the day.  I didn't really believe them.  Several laughs came from the crowd as a pigeon roosted on top of the Sistine chimney.  The Holy Spirit?  In my typical sarcastic way I mentioned that it was probably just a warm place to rest for a bit.
There was no way to get a good picture of the crowd, but it was massive.
Pigeon on the chimeny

Chimney Cam quickly became Bird Cam


Shortly after 7:00, a collective gasp went up from the crowd...is that smoke?  What color is it?  NO WAY!  The crowd went wild when it became very obvious that the smoke was WHITE!  Something short of chaos followed...cheering, hollering, hugging, smiles and looks of disbelief all over the place.  It was soon confirmed as the bells of St. Peter began to peal, adding to the cacophony that had become St. Peter's.
Smoke....

....White Smoke!!!!!


The revelry begins

I wonder how big the ballots are, because there was a whole bunch of smoke!

The bells ringing....beautiful music.

During the next 45 minutes, there was a sort of electricity in the air.  Question of who do you think it will be?  Moments of realization that I was actually here, not watching on television, but actually in the place where millions around the globe were watching on television.  And the rain even stopped! 
We were very happy.

A regiment of the Swiss guard with a band marched in, followed by a regiment and band of the Italian guard.
The Swiss Guard

The Italians


As we waited, not knowing what would happen next, spontaneous chants of "Viva Papa" echoed through the Square.  We sang the Salve Regina, we prayed the Our Father.  It was quite impressive to experience this sense of togetherness with thousands of others from all over the globe. 

Then, a light came on.  Literally, the lights of the balcony came on and, again, a collective cheer came from the crowd.  A Cardinal came out and exclaimed: “Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum; Habemus Papam.” In English, “I announce to you a great joy; We have a Pope.”  Then his name was given, and honestly, no one understood it!  Who?  What was that?  Something about Francesco?  
"Habemus Papam"

Slowly, the news filtered through the crowd...Jorge Mario Bergoglio?  From Agentina?  A Jesuit???  And he took the name Francesco?  Then, all the curtains on the balcony opened, the Cardinals came forth, and we got our first glimpse of the new Pope.
Francesco I


Some of the Cardinals

The Cardinals and the new Bishop of Rome

Francesco I then gave his blessing "Urbi et Orbi" - to the city of Rome and to the whole world.  This was, perhaps, the most moving for me.  He spoke of the "journey" that we are all on together.  We prayed an Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be in Italian for Pope Emeritus Benedict.  Before giving us his blessing, he asked that all gathered pray that God's blessing be with him, and he asked for a silent prayer.  Kid you not, there were probably hundreds of thousands of people there, and the entire place was absolutely silent.  We're talking "hearing a pin drop" silent.  The only thing heard was a distant police siren...unreal! 

The Pontiff then gave us his blessing, and concluded with "Buona notte e Buon riposo" - "Good night and Sleep well."  An appropriate end to the evening in that, as I looked up, a few stars were starting to emerge from the cloudy skies.
From the big screen.

Still can't believe that I was there and took this picture.

Incredible.
St. Peter's Basilica

Once more the crowd erupted and the bells pealed (I understand even the bells in Dayton were ringing.)  We made our way through the crowd back near home where we enjoyed a celebratory meal of pizza and beer!  A good end to an extraordinary evening.
Toasting our new Pontiff.

It's getting late, and I'm sure I've forgotten things.  But, this is good for now.  I haven't even looked online yet, but I'm sure everyone is sizing Francesco up.  For now, let's just pray for God's many graces and blessings upon our new Pope, upon our Church, and upon all people of good will. 

Good night and sleep well, my friends!

Ciao!

8 comments:

  1. I knew you had to have been there and was praying I would see you in the shots of the crowd that were shown before Francis' appearance. I am sorry I didn't see you but I am so thankful you were there! What wonderful pictures! God Bless and Sleep well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been refreshing to read your experience of being part of this global event, Bob. It's nice to get your first hand accounts laced with just the right amount of reverence and humor. I look forward to being with you again in November.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome, Bob!!! I am so excited for you. What a marvelous experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of you today as I watched the announcement...to be part of such a historic event! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought about you today and hoped you were in the midst of God at work!! Hope all is well. Thinking of traveling to Rome soon. How about dinner? Take care my friend and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will never forget that moment. And i will never forget that i could live that moment with Joseph and you. Now i feel that something new is growing. Thank you very much!! (and sorry for my english, I have cancelled this message twice)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made me feel the excitement with you, and even the cold rain, and stars behind the clouds, well written Bob Jones - I hope to meet you when you get back to Dayton and thank you for top notch reporting!

    ReplyDelete