Tuesday, February 12, 2013

That was unexpected...



A few people have asked what life is like in Rome these days....
All eyes will be focused here in the next several weeks.

To start with, I’ve never said that I’m the quickest when it comes to comprehending things.  So, this is how the “big news” unfolded for me…

On Monday a little after noon, as I usually do, I returned home from school and plopped on my bed to rest a few minutes before pranzo (lunch).  As I was (somewhat ironically) looking at the news on my cell phone browser, there was a knock on my door.  In came Fr. Pachi, the rector, who asked (in Italian) if I had heard the news.  I said no and so he continued to speak in Italian.  Now, I admit, that my Italian is not the best.  I understood that there was something about Pope Benedict, and (mixing up the words salutare and saluto - greetings and health) I thought that Pachi said the Pope had decided to discontinue his public appearances and greetings of individuals.  I think my underwhelmed expression surprised Pachi a little and so he left.   

Being curious, I went back to my phone and checked a few U.S. news outlets…nothing about the Pope (it was only 6 AM on the East Coast).  Then I did a quick Google search…but still, the headlines coming from several British agencies couldn’t be correct.  I chuckled as I thought of the retractions they would have to make.  

 Then, Bro. Dan next door called to me and it was with him, and his friends from Kenya with whom he was on Skype, that things started to come into clear view.  Really?  The Pope has resigned?  I ran down to our dining room (after all, it was now time for pranzo) only to be met by several brothers with looks of disbelief and awe on their faces.  Definitely not something any of us had expected.
Pope Benedict at an October mass in St. Peter's Square to open the Year of Faith.


During pranzo, about all that any of us at our table could say was, “Wow,” as we realized the unique history that was unfolding literally right around us.  After lunch, I turned on my computer only to find my Facebook page “exploding” with comments:  Wow. You will be in Rome for a conclave.” [Still sinking in.]  Did you ever think you would be in Rome during an election of a pope?” [No.]  “Bob Jones for Pope.” [White’s not really my color.]   

But, I think my friend Jeremy was first: “My housemate from UD is in Vatican City for the priesthood. I'm hoping Bob Jones will blog about this.”  And of course my friend Shannon added in her usual wit: “I'm hoping it spices up your blog. Haha. Jk. bring on the pictures!”  Well, wish granted, Jeremy!  And I’ll try my best, Shannon.

The next several weeks will be very interesting, and as “your Brother in Rome” I’ll try to share some thoughts and observations (and spicy pictures) as I can.  Stay tuned as I begin looking for white smoke!
To respond to one Facebook question...No this is not photo-shopped!  This is from a September General Audience which I attended at the Vatican.

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Bob! I am in Colombia right now...visiting with the Sisters Novitiate Community. We have been without internet my entire visit here and yesterday got a call from the SM community director saying the pope had resigned.
    Hna. Marleny turned to me and said El papa renuncio...I was so confused, she said what do you not understand the verb renunciar?...I said yes, but I forgot it was possible that he could resign...we laughed for a good while and at almuerzo (lunch) chatted about how historic this is for our church.
    Oh the joys of experiencing history in another language! Blessings on your Italian journey!

    ReplyDelete