Saturday, February 23, 2013

Question #3



Shortly after the Pope shared his plans of resigning, many people began making comments on Facebook such as “Bob Jones for Pope.”  I’m convinced of two things.  First of all, my election as Pope would surely be a sign of a very immanent apocalypse.  And second, my brother-in-law was just hoping that I would decree that Sunday mass can't begin before 10:00am.  

However, it begs the question… 

Question #3: Could Bob Jones be the next Pope?


In truly Catholic fashion, the answer is YES and NO.  

The rules state than any baptized male Catholic can be elected as Pope.  So, I meet those requirements.  It’s looking pretty good right now.  Also, the rules say that the Pope-elect must be a Bishop.  But there is also a provision that says if a non-Bishop is elected, he must be immediately made a Bishop.  Nothing some laying on of hands can’t take care of :)  So, it seems that I could, in fact, be the next Pope.  

At this point, it should be noted that, while he wasn’t elected a Pope, St. Ambrose was nominated as Bishop of Milan by the people before he was even baptized!  He was quickly baptized and a week later ordained. 
St. Ambrose as he looks today.
With all this being said, however, the Cardinal electors tend to look for someone with quite a bit of theological and governing experience.  Seeing that I still probably know more math than theology and that I typically can’t even keep my room in order, my chances of being elected seem to be pretty slim.  And, since the 15th century only a Cardinal has been elected.  But, there is now a precedent for not following centuries-old practices…so you never know!  Finally, and maybe the bigger issue, I’m not sure if I could put aside my UD baseball hat for a taller one.

Here’s a little video that’s been circulating online that gives a basic explanation of why, technically I could be elected Pope, my chances are pretty slim.
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment