Saturday, February 16, 2013

Question #1



Folks across the world have been wondering what the resignation of Pope Benedict means.  Like most people, I don’t really have a clue.  But, I am certain of one thing:  I am getting a lot of questions!  (Most of which I don’t have any answers to!)  But, I will try to give some sort of response (not an answer per se) to some of them in the next few weeks.  So, here goes…

Question #1: Were you surprised?


I think the obvious answer is “yes.”  It seems that only a few top-ranking officials and Benedict’s brother knew what was coming.  One Cardinal recounted that as the Pope declared his intentions, the eyes in the room were going nuts.  It seems the Cardinals were all taken by surprise.  I really wish Benedict would have ended with “Bazinga!”  I also heard a story that most of the media covering the event didn’t understand the Latin.  One German reporter started saying, “He’s resigning” and no one believed her.  Maybe this will persuade me to pay attention better in my Latin class.  At my own house, there was definitely an atmosphere of shock.

On the other hand, we have to remember that the Benedict once said, “If a Pope clearly realizes that he is no longer physically, psychologically, and spiritually capable of handling the duties of his office, then he has a right and, under some circumstances, also an obligation to resign." (from “Light of the World”, a book-length interview with a German reporter) 

Also, we know that Benedict cited health concerns and declining strength as reasons for his resignation.  To this, I can attest.  I have had the opportunity to see Benedict three times since coming to Rome.  I attended a general audience in September, a mass to open the Year of Faith in October, and Christmas Midnight Mass in St. Peters.  As I think back, there is a marked difference between September and December.  At the audience, he looked frail, but then he is 85 years old.  But, at the end as he was leaving, he stopped and held a baby, interacting with her parents.  In December, he looked markedly tired.  I specifically remember his entrance.  He was on a moving platform and had very little animation, almost like he was holding onto the bar for dear life.  We have to admit that it was late (even for a 36 year old – I was tired).  But, he seemed to be missing some of the charisma I had seen earlier. 
At the end of the Audience.  Afterwards, this baby and her parents became instant celebrities.

Entering the Square for mass.
Christmas 2012

Finally, we must remember that his resignation is not unprecedented.  The only thing is, the last time it happened was almost 600 years ago! 

Stay tuned for more from Rome.  

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment