Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pallanza...


After two months of studying Italian (I’ll write about that later) it’s time for a break (sort of).  Yes, the classes are over, but the Italian goes on….in Pallanza, a city in the North of Italy (I can see Switzerland from here) on the banks of Lago Maggiore, a large lake nestled in the mountains that begin the Alps.  Myself and six other Marianist seminarians are staying at our community here for a bit of relaxation before we return to the hustle and bustle of Rome.  Of course, the Brothers here don’t speak English (but are very quick to make fun of my American accent when I speak ItalianJ) so the learning goes on…but in a more practical way.  We are enjoying regular community life (prayer and meditation in the morning, mass in the evening, and meals together) and are also seeing some of the sites of the area.  And, of course, the afternoons are usually free for napping, reading, and just good-old-fashioned relaxation. 
As I sit and type this, a fresh breeze blows through my open windows (it was almost cold this morning), the bells from the local parish are marking the quarter hour, and this is what I’m looking at. Yes, Pallanza is a beautiful and peaceful place, and just what I needed!

Enjoy the rest of the pictures.
Ciao!


The city of Pallanza.


The Marianist Brothers House (where we are staying).


The Marianist Sisters House (which is right next door.)


An icon inside the Brothers' Chapel.


"Lungolago" - Along the lake.
A little town across the lake...typical of the region.
 


Bro. Jinu pointing to Switzerland.


I know my brother-in-law Sean can be bad with directions, but what's our boat doing in Northern Italy??


This is the Chapel of Our Lady of the Assumption in a little church.  I had to laugh because, "Where's Mary?"  I guess she has been assumed into heaven???  (So the statue was in the front of the church, but it still made me laugh.)


The family home of St. Charles Borromeo.  Not too bad when your uncle is the Pope and makes you a Cardinal. 


The view from our house.


After all, this is vacation!

However, it's not all fun and game.  Last Saturday a terrible storm (including a tornado) came through the area.  There is damage (mostly fallen trees) all over the place.  The Brother's garden is almost all destroyed, but Mary survived.  We have been helping the Brothers clean up some of the trees. 

This scene is typical...trees just snapped in half!  There is a botanical garden nearby that announced it will be closed for at least a year due to clean up.  They estimate that over 300 trees fell in the garden.

Back to the peacefulness of the water and mountains.

Downtown.

Memorial for those in World War I.

"Isola Pescatori" (Fisherman's Island) in the lake. 

While this photo doesn't do it justice, the night scene out my bedroom window is amazing, with the adjecent city ascending up the mountain.

Even a some clouds and rain can't dampen the beauty of this place.  This is what I see from the other window in my room.

Here we are one day with our tour guide Bro. Remo.  At 86 years old, I think he moves quicker and works more than any of us "giovani" (young ones).
We made a visit to the Brother's cemetery.


Lago Maggiore.

Along the lake.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you're really there! The pictures look like a story book. Soak up some of that peacefulness and send it my way :)

    ReplyDelete