Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Back in Rome...

You might recall that when I first arrived in Rome (that was about three months ago) the first order of business was to apply for my legal residence permit which included several trips to different offices and waiting at the "Questura" (police station) for four hours.  The next step was to attend an "Italian Civics" class.  Last week, I had the honor of watching a four hour video that taught me how to be a good resident in Italy.  It was in English, and for all four hours it was simply two people (one form the U.S. and one from Great Britain) reading at a camera.  One of my favorite parts was when the British guy comes on with a t-shirt that says "Brooklyn."  Naturally, I thought to myself, "So this is what it means to be Italian!!!"   I also learned that...
    1) There are almost 1000 members in the Italian Parliament. 
    2) Work is good for you and for the state, so get a job.
    3) Make sure your kids go to school.
    4) Social workers are good people.
I am happy to say that Friday I returned to the Questura and picked up my "permesso di soggiorno."Woo Hoo!  Here is the new class proudly showing our newly acquired "permessi."
 Of course, I still need to get an identity card from the local government (that takes 3 passport photos to get) and then I can purchase my annual bus pass.  I also think I have to sign up for the government health care.  I figure that by the time I'm finished with school, I will have everything completed :) 

In the meantime, I'll share a few more photos.  When we were returning from Pallanza, we had to switch trains in Milano and had four hours.  So, a few of us hopped on the subway and went downtown.  I'll warn you that one of the pictures is a little strange, but I had to share it. 

Ciao!
Here we are at the Duomo (Cathedral) of Milan.  We were there in the morning, but that afternoon the funeral for Cardinal Martini took place in the church.  We were able to walk past his coffin in the sanctuary and pay our respects.
The Duomo really is an exquisite building.

This advertisement was in the subway.  I wanted to go because it says that "Charlie and his friends are waiting for me!"  But, the brothers said we didn't have time to go.  By the way, this is not the strange picture.

The Church of St. Ambrose.  He was Bishop of Milan in the fourth century.  This is also probably the place where Ambrose baptized Augustine after his conversion.  When we were here, it started to rain, but I think it was just Monica's tears.  (You theology nerds will understand this.)
And finally, in the crypt of the church, one can see the tomb of St. Ambrose.  Or, rather, one can see St. Ambrose!  Here he is (dressed in white) with a martyr whose name I don't remember (sorry).
Seeing skeletons of saints dressed up like this is more common here than you might expect.  I have also seen seen the body of St. Francis of Rome and the skull of St. Dominic (in Bologna).

After all, they always say that two heads are better than one...
Bro. Jinu posing with St. Dominic's head (it's hard to see it, but it's encased in the reliquary.)

No comments:

Post a Comment