Friday, July 13, 2012

La bella città


I have just ended my second week studying Italian in Verona.  My first test is on Monday, so I should probably be studying rather than blogging!  But, everyone needs a break now and then.  My days are usually filled with praying, going to class, studying, and eating (the Italians have a special verb that means “to eat lunch”…and yes, we have pasta everyday at both lunch and dinner.)  There is also time in the day to relax – siesta after lunch and the evening passagieta (walk) along the Adige River which is nearby. 

So far, I have found the language classes challenging, particularly understanding what another person says.  It all seems so fast!  But, I can sense some (if only a little) improvement in both my understanding and speaking, so that is encouraging.  I am pretty much immersed in the language…common prayer is in Italian, in our room Javier and I speak only in Italian, and I have found an Italian-only radio station to listen to (which is more difficult than you might expect – the Italians seem to like American music.)  Italian all around me!  Today, our class went into downtown and had a tour of the city…given in Italian, of course.

In the midst of all this studying, however, we manage to find time to explore the city.  Simply said, Verona is a beautiful city.  The streets are narrow, the piazzas are wide, the buildings are colorful, and the churches are grand.  I mostly enjoy walking around the central, historic area, soaking in the city’s charm, watching the many people (residents and tourists) who pass by, or listening to the ripple of the river as it winds its way through the city.  Don’t worry, though, I am also keeping my eye out for a Montague or a Capulet!
Ciao!

At "Juliette's Balcony" with Sr. Lucy (another student) and Bro. Bosco.  Just remember, Shakespeare made it all up, but the tourists don't seem to mind.

At Piazza Erbe with Bro. Bosco and Sr. Lucy.

The Church of Santa Anastasia.  The ceiling is just beautiful.

The "Duomo" (cathedral) in Verona.

The streets of Verona, with Bro. Javier, Sr. Lucy, and Bro. Bosco.

The clock tower in Verona.

With my friend Dante.  (Don't worry, my camera seems to be adding red to my face...no sunburns yet)

Along the River Adige.

At Ponte Vecchio over the Adige River.

The Verona Mountains in the background.


San Zeno, patron of the city.

The Roman arena in the center of town.  It is still used for shows (more later)

What happens when you let a group of Religious loose in the city.

Verona is known for its balconies (go figure).

The city is also known for its frescoes (in the background).

Another river picture.  I think I might like the river.

1 comment: