Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sagrada Familia

Today in St. Peter's Square, Pope Francis celebrated mass for "The Day of the Family."  Now, in all transparency, I did not go.  I heard that they were expecting 150,000 people and I then heard that more than 200,000 actually attended.  I'm still recovering from all the people during the Pope's election!  However, thanks to the internet, we can all read his homily!  He spoke about three features of the family: prayer, faith and joy.  He ended by saying, "Dear families, always live in faith and simplicity, like the Holy Family of Nazareth!"
The Holy Family at Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.

In order to celebrate the Day of the Family, I would like to share some pictures of the Church of the Holy Family (Sagrada Familia) in Barcelona.  I was able to see it while I was in Spain this summer.  Construction began around 1882 under the architect Antoni Gaudi...and it is still not completed.  They think it will finally be done in the mid 2020's.  The only word that can describe it is breathtaking.  As I was choosing the pictures, I realized that they really do not do the church justice.  But, it will give you a taste of what it was like.  If you ever get to Barcelona, make sure to go and see it for yourself! 

What the completed church will eventually look like (from a poster)

Inside the Church.

The columns and ceiling were made to look like trees.

The ceiling

The front of the church at night.

There are several scenes all around the outside of the church.  Here we have the Marriage of Mary and Joseph.

The Presentation of Jesus in the Temple

In the daytime.
 
The Way of the Cross.

The Crucifixion

Each Apostle gets a statue and a column

Jesus in Gethsemane (This was one of my favorites)
 
The windows were spectacular and the light inside was always changing.

The front door with the "Our Father" in all different languages.

The columns and ceiling again

The Nativity

The Annunciation (wooops, out of order)

Jesus and Joseph

The pictures really don't let you know how big the place is

Light

Really, this doesn't capture it

While in Barcelona, we stayed with the Marianist Sisters.  They spoke no English, and we spoke no Spanish.  Luckily one sister knew Italian, so we were able to get by.
Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pics Bob. I hope to get there myself some day as part of a spiritual pilgrimage, but also to check out the structure ;-) I've found it extremely difficult in my travels to do any church justice with pictures...good job with these though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to visit La Sagrada Familia....looks a little more done than when I was there in 2008 ;) Poco a poco! Prayers for you from this side of the pond! Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete