Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Guardian Angels

Today the Church celebrates the Memorial of the Guardian Angels.  There are three things that this brings to mind.
From the Chapel of the Marianist Generalate in Rome

  1. Angel of God my God, my guardian dear, to whom God's love commits me here...(there is extra credit for whoever can finish the prayer.)
  2. The seemingly endless chapters that St. Thomas Aquinas penned in his "Summa Theologica" about angels, the types of angels, and of course the favorite question of myself, Bro. Daniel and our Medieval Philosophy professor: Just how many angels can fit on the head of a pin?
  3.  On this day in 1817, the first members of the Society of Mary declared their intentions to Fr. Chaminade about committing themselves to his new foundation.
These are all good (even if I still go into convulsions when I think of philosophy), but today conjures up another image for me, a more personal image.  On this day in 2010 I professed my perpetual vows as a Marianist Brother.  That day in St. Louis, I said that I would do this Marianist thing for the rest of my life, continuing this crazy adventure, that is, a crazy-good adventure.

I sometimes wonder what made me say "yes" for the rest of my life.  But I guess it's like asking someone how they knew that their spouse was the one they wanted to spend the rest of their life with.  In reality, we probably can't answer these questions fully or at least with clear rationality.  Instead, we rely on a hunch.  We listen to that sometimes big and sometimes small voice that we hear within us.  And in the end, we are reminded that it really is all grace.  It is the grace of God given to us.  If only we will embrace it and trust God.  These are two difficult tasks, but, they are also two very important tasks.  And we must remember that they will take a life-time to accomplish.

So, on this anniversary of my perpetual vows, and the Memorial of the Guardian Angels, there are three other things that come to my mind.
  1. Fr. Mike Lisbeth, one of our Marianist priests who died this past year, told me that on the anniversary of his ordination he prayed in thanksgiving for his vocation and also for forgiveness.  He prayed for forgiveness for those times when he might have hurt another person through his ministry.  It's a practice that I have taken up on my anniversaries of religious life.  And here again we return to God's grace.
  2. At our perpetual profession, Marianist Brothers take a fourth vow of Stability (along with chastity, poverty and obedience.)  To me, it's the hardest one to describe because it's unique to us and, quite frankly, I move around a lot - sometimes I don't feel too rooted in one place.  And yet, at the same time, I am rooted.  I am rooted in our Marianist life and our Marianist Family.  I am rooted in our common mission and vision for the Church.  I am rooted in Mary's service of bringing Christ into the world.  And for me, this is where I find Stability.
  3. While I usually don't give much thought to angels, I am reminded today of all the "angels" who are in my life.  Those who watch out for me, guide me, direct me, walk with me, love me, and are just downright good folks that I'm glad are a part of my life.  They are too numerous to mention (which is a good thing).  They are family and friends, Brothers and Sisters.  And they will know who they are (hint, if you're reading this, you're probably on the list!)
    From San Giovanni Rotondo, the town of Padre Pio.
Recently, I've had many people tell me that I seem to be happy.  Well, I think they are right.  I am happy.  There must be a Guardian Angel looking after me.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment