Sunday, August 12, 2012

The people have spoken...


This weekend, I had a dilemma.  On Saturday, there was one group of friends going to Milano and another going to Padova.  How could I decide between the city of St. Ambrose and the city of St. Anthony?  Naturally, I put the question to my Facebook friends, and they convinced me to head to Padua, a small-ish city about  an hour away from Verona.  It is probably best known as the city where the Franciscan St. Anthony died and is buried.  He is also known as the "finder of lost things" (although I contend that Grandma Jones gives him a run for his money!)  And, his services came in handy.  There were eight in our group, and one, Malek (from Egypt), became separated from us.  But, lo and behold, in Anthony's city, Malek was finally found a few hours later!

 Of course, there are many other interesting things in Padova as well.  Enjoy the pictures.
Ciao!
In the historical center of Padova.  I think this is the "municipio" (city hall).


The Basilica of St. Anthony.  It is a very large church and very beautiful inside.  However, you were not allowed to take pictures, and there were guards and Friars watching!  Inside the church, of course, is the tomb of St. Anthony.  Also inside the church are several relics of the saint, including his tongue!

I'm struck by the many memorials in Northern Italy that commemorate the World Wars.  Along the walls of this church in Padova are the names of 5401 people who died in the city during World War I.

The Duomo (cathedral) is very interesting.  The current structure dates from the 1500's (I think) but has evidently been renovated in recent years as the ambo (above) indicates. 

There's a park with a bunch of statues, and I liked this one...a statue making a statue.

The Church of Santa Guista.  The outside is impressive, the inside not so much.


Of course, when you are in Padova, you have to get a picture with St. Anthony.  Here I am with Tony in the Duomo.

Back in Verona, our group had a (non-pasta) celebratory dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment