Saturday, April 4, 2015

Holy Saturday: The Easter Vigil in the Holy Night

Two days ago, we began the celebration of the great Paschal Triduum - the celebration of the most central mysteries of our Christian faith. The Passion, death and resurrection of Christ. We follow with Jesus from the Last Supper to the Garden of Gethsemane. We journey the road to Calvary and wait at the sealed tomb. We greet the new morning of Resurrection and ponder the empty grave.


Tonight we begin in darkness and silence.  We gather together to hear the story of how God has worked throughout time and in all creation.  It is a story of hope, and yet we are also faced with our human limits and sinfulness.  God overcomes the chaos and creates all things as good, and we destroy this creation and forget our inherent dignity.  God leads us from slavery and towards the Promised Land, and like Israel we grumble against God.  The Prophets announce God's salvation and desires for the world, and we dismiss their messages so that we can follow our own designs.  We begin to question if there really is any hope for us...
 
...then an astounding thing happens - God happens.  Even when we destroy, God continues to create.  Even when we grumble, God continues to lead.  Even when we stray from the path, God continues to speak.  Even when we sin, God continues to forgive, and forgive, and forgive.  I will never forget the words that Pope Francis said at his first Sunday Angelus message: "Dio non si stanca mai di perdonarci" - "God never gets tired of forgiving us.  We might get tired of asking, but God never gets tired."  This is a message that Pope Francis continues to repeat over and over again, probably because we need to keep hearing it. 

This profound message of forgiveness and mercy and hope is repeated at tonight's liturgy.  A single flame enters, a flame that pierces the vast darkness and shows us the pathway.  A single word, "Glory!" is heard, a word that overcomes the great silence and announces our destiny.  A single drop of water touches us, water that sates our thirst and cleanses our woundedness.  A single loaf of bread is shared among us, bread that nourishes our spiritual hunger and makes us a community.



And the one flame grows into great brightness.  The one word becomes a whole chorus as bells join in the praise. The one drop turns into a pool of new life.  The one loaf urges us to go forward into the world. All reminding us that we are forgiven because Christ has won the victory for us.  He has conquered sin and death, and he has made us daughters and sons of the living God.  In the words of St. John Paul II we can now cry out, "We are an Easter people, and Alleluia is our song!"



The words from an ancient homily for Holy Saturday remind us of what Christ has done for us and why we rejoice on this most holy of nights:

For your sake I, your God, became your son; I, the Lord, took the form of a slave; I, whose home is above the heavens, descended to the earth and beneath the earth. For your sake, for the sake of humankind, I became like a human without help, free among the dead. For the sake of you, who left a garden, I was betrayed to the Jews in a garden, and I was crucified in a garden.

See on my face the spittle I received in order to restore to you the life I once breathed into you. See there the marks of the blows I received in order to refashion your warped nature in my image. On my back see the marks of the scourging I endured to remove the burden of sin that weighs upon your back. See my hands, nailed firmly to a tree, for you who once wickedly stretched out your hand to a tree.

I slept on the cross and a sword pierced my side for you who slept in paradise and brought forth Eve from your side. My side has healed the pain in yours. My sleep will rouse you from your sleep in hell. The sword that pierced me has sheathed the sword that was turned against you.

Rise, let us leave this place. The enemy led you out of the earthly paradise. I will not restore you to that paradise, but I will enthrone you in heaven. I forbade you the tree that was only a symbol of life, but see, I who am life itself am now one with you. I appointed cherubim to guard you as slaves are guarded, but now I make them worship you as God. The throne formed by cherubim awaits you, its bearers swift and eager. The bridal chamber is adorned, the banquet is ready, the eternal dwelling places are prepared, the treasure houses of all good things lie open. The kingdom of heaven has been prepared for you from all eternity.


May the blessings of the Risen Christ bring you peace and forgiveness and unbounded joy!

Happy Easter!  Alleluia, Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment