Sunday, March 23, 2014

All Roads Lead to Rome

They say that all roads lead to Rome.  That might be true, but today was about the roads in Rome.  While many athletes competed in the Rome Marathon, running 42 kilometers and change, about 80,000 of us opted for a somewhat smaller distance - the Rome Stracittadina .  It is a fun, festive 5km through the heart of Rome starting just after the Marathon and traveling the first 3km of the Marathon route.  So, I have no problem saying that I ran the Rome Marathon (5k) - ha, ha!  I can't ever imagine doing a full marathon, so for all those who did it today: Bravissimi!

Here's a few pictures from the day's festivities.  Enjoy!

Yes, I did the FUN run.
Just call me a Gladiator.
Now here are some real marathoners - a Marianist and a friend from Spain who came and did the whole thing!  They let me bask in their glory.

It was quite a crowd

An Italian family insisted on taking my picture since this was my first Rome 5k.



Just the scenery (Colosseum and Forum in the background) was worth it.

Here we go!

Caesar salutes us.

Bro. Dan came along to cheer on the Kenyans.  He also told me that I could be an honorary Kenyan today so that I would run faster!  I'm not sure that it helped.
By the Theater of Marcello.

The Vittoriano and Campodiglio in the background.

Running by the Baths of Caracalla.

Finito!

After party at Circus Maximus.

My attempt at a selfie...they're harder than I thought.

Afterwards, they had the running of the dogs.

Who doesn't love a beagle?

Breakfast of champions. (Thanks to Bro. Lester for making cornetti - Italian donuts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment