Thursday, November 22, 2012

Giving Thanks

The 13th century theologian and mystic Meister Eckhart once said, "If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."  I first came across this several years ago in a "Mutts" comic in the newspaper.  On this Thanksgiving Day, it is a good reminder to continue to give thanks to God not only on this special day, but everyday...to give thanks for the gift of life, for the gift of family and friends, for the many blessings (both big and small) that surround our lives. 

As you might imagine, this first Thanksgiving in Rome is a little odd.  I had classes this morning (no watching the Macy's Parade) and this afternoon it is my turn to work in our reception area (no naps in front of the tv while watching the football games.)  But, it has also been a day of joy.  Classmates from England, Lebanan, India, Argentina, and elsewhere all wished me a "Happy Thanksgiving."  The Brothers in my house have been very interested in the origins of the holiday and asked a question that I didn't have a good answer for, "Why turkey today?"  I have also enjoyed receiving well wishes from many folks in the States, and will Skype in to the Jones Family Dinner this evening.  Finally, Bro. Mike, the General Secretary, prepared a proper Thanksgiving Day Dinner for our community...turkey, stuffing, potatoes, pumpkin pie, and no pasta!

It truly is a day to count my blessings and to give thanks.  As I posted on Facebook this morning, this really is a crazy but wonderful life that I am living.  And it is only because of all those great people who have been, are, and will be in my life.  For all of you, I am so very thankful.

Ciao!
Bro. Bosco trying to eat the paper turkey.

Our Master cooks for the day: Marilena, Bro. Mike, and Marina.

The American table: with Bro. Les, Brian, Fr. Charlie,Sr. Gretchen, and Bro. Ed.

No caption necessary.

Thanksgiving in Rome.

Fr. Pachi (from Spain) enjoying his first Thanksgiving dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment